Because 2020 ain't over yet baby.
The name for this cake in my phone is, "BASIC BITCH MUG CAKE".
Because the night I googled "paleo mug cake recipe" was the night I threw caring about doing "basic" things like baking a single serve cake in a microwave out the window.
It takes about 5 minutes to measure and mix the batter, and one minute to cook in the microwave. It's easy(er) on my gut, and is fantastically delicious.
See NOTES below for baking in traditional oven.
OK recipe -
BOOZY HOT CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
1/4 cup almond flour
2 tbsp cacao powder
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp coconut oil (+ extra for coating mugs)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp chocolate chips
1 1/2 tbsp scotch or bourbon
optional: vanilla ice cream for serving (I use dairy free coconut milk ice cream)
1. Grease the inside of two small mugs with coconut oil + if using, take your ice cream out of the freezer and set aside.
2. Measure all cake ingredients into a medium sized + microwave safe bowl and mix / whisk well until you have a smooth batter without lumps.
3. Divide batter between the two mugs and microwave them together for 1 min to 1 min 30 seconds. Since microwaves are different, take one out at 1 min and check if the cake is set. If it's still wobbly in the center, add another 10 seconds. Once center is firm, set cakes aside to cool.
4. Measure chocolate sauce ingredients into the same bowl you used for the batter. Microwave in 11 seconds increments, removing the bowl to thoroughly stir the mixture. Do this until the chocolate chips have fully melted and incorporated into the coconut milk. It will look like thick, warm, chocolate milk when done - takes me about 44 seconds total.
5. Serve cakes warm with one scoop of ice cream (I use a round tablespoon to scoop just the right amount) and a generous drizzle of chocolate sauce.
Voila !!! Enjoy.
*If you do not stop to stir the sauce mixture every 11-12 seconds while melting, you will burn the chocolate and need to start over!
**Cakes can also be baked in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes. If you can wait :)
***Recipe makes enough boozy chocolate sauce for a bit leftover to keep in the fridge. YA welcome. Just heat gently again, stopping to stir several times so as not to burn it.